<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d15677816\x26blogName\x3dGathering+of+Engineers\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLUE\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://pdxgaming.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://pdxgaming.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-1257436599043759910', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Gathering of Engineers

Ludographic considerations from the Silicon Forest

Sunday, December 04, 2005

Question of the Month: December

Being the first full week of December, each blog entry this week will answer the following question, picked by Chris: "What are some games that you wish you owned, but do not own? Why do you not own them today?".

Those of you playing from home can use this entry to post your own answers!

3 Comments:

  • At 11:55 PM, Blogger Matthew Gagan said…

    Tales of the Arabian Nights. I played this solitaire a lot as a 17-year-old, and have a lot of fond memories about it. It got destroyed in a mini basement flood, along with Ambush, its expansions, and a few other games I can't recall off the top of my head. Never picked it up again because it's expensive and difficult to find relative to the enjoyment I imagine I would have owning and playing it again.

     
  • At 10:05 AM, Blogger John Steadman said…

    Interesting question. The first thing that pops into mind is Ticket to Ride. I'm sure I'll eventually get it, but there's something that bugs me about buying into it just because its been hugely popular and on many people's number 1 list. I have a crayon rail game gathering dust at home, and the whole lay track, compete for routes doesn't really appeal to me all that much, although I'm *willing* to play if others want to. As I understand it, Ticket to ride has simplified the mechanism and made it more fun to play.

    So... I want it. Yet I keep coming back to the hype. It also has to do with where the hype is coming from. If it was one of my "hard core" gaming buddies, I wouldn't hesitate. I do purchase other games based on referral, such as my recent aquisition of Arkham Horror because it was well reviewed by Tom Vasel. The hype for this game has *seemed* to come from all over, and especially softcore(?) gamers, which makes me think that its going to be too light and compromised.

    I'm simply going to have to play this one to know. /shrug. GenCon '06 it shall be... maybe.

     
  • At 11:42 AM, Blogger Jeff Coon said…

    Lately I've enjoyed being a game "collector". I've had a lot of fun scouring eBay, making contacts, and getting those hard-to-find games in my collection. There are quite a few that I'd still like to find.

    Roads & Boats
    Rest of the Alea series (Ra & Chinatown especially)
    Antiquity
    Indonesia
    Carabande Action Set x2
    Tales of the Arabian Nights

    And then there are the games that I want, but for some reason just haven't bought yet. They look interesting, but the reviews are mixed and I have't played them. For some reason, I find these hard to buy.

    Master Thieves
    Mississippi Queen
    Keythedral
    Railroad Tycoon (with non-warping boards)
    Hive
    Reef Encounter
    Colossal Arena
    Wyatt Earp
    Wings of War

     

Post a Comment

<< Home